Ozone purification and sterilization systems are getting much attention these days due to their increased use in both the medical and water treatment industries. However, it is important to note that due to the oxidative attributes of ozone, most thread sealants won’t withstand the corrosiveness of the gas. Fluoramics’ LOX-8, however, is engineered to work with harsh chemicals such as ozone and is the ideal thread sealant to use with these systems.
Non-touch sterilization/purification systems are used in medical setting to eradicate bacteria, viruses and odors. Ozone is the most powerful naturally-occuring oxidative agent and is a faster disinfectant that bleach. With its extra free radical oxygen molecule, ozone is able to destroy germs, viruses, and microbes that cause surface or air contaminations. Furthermore, ozone leaves no chemical residue typical of alternative detergent or synthetic cleaners, and can be one of the most effective sterilizing tools. That makes ozone systems a popular choice in the fight against viruses such as COVID-19.
Ozonation is increasingly being used in water purification as an alternative to chlorination. It has a greater disinfection effectiveness against bacteria and viruses compared to chlorination. In addition, the oxidizing properties can also reduce the concentration of iron, manganese, sulfur and reduce or eliminate taste and odor problems. Ozone oxides the iron, manganese, and sulfur in the water to form insoluble metal oxides or elemental sulfur. These insoluble particles are then removed by post-filtration.
Primary Advantages to Ozone in Water Treatment:
• Ozone is effective over a wide pH range and rapidly reacts with bacteria, viruses, and protozoans and has stronger germicidal properties then chlorination.
• Ozone has a very strong oxidizing power with a short reaction time.
• The treatment process does not add chemicals to the water.
• Ozone can eliminate a wide variety of inorganic, organic and microbiological problems and taste and odor problems. The microbiological agents include bacteria, viruses, and protozoans (such as Giardia and Cryptosporidium).
• Ozone quickly reverts back to oxygen if unused.
Due to the oxidative attributes of ozone, most thread sealants won’t withstand the corrosiveness of the gas. In contrast, LOX-8 is engineered to work with harsh chemicals and will withstand high pressure, and both extreme heat and cryogenic deep freeze temperatures.
LOX-8 Paste chemistry is created for applications where extreme acids or powerful oxidizers are used. Oxygen approved, waterproof, and versatile, it is an all-purpose sealant and anti-galling agent. It works great with oil-based systems, hydraulic oils, and fuels. LOX-8 is recommended for use as both a lubricant and as a sealant by The Chlorine Institute members.
Key Benefits of LOX-8:
• Formulated for wet conditions and dry applications. High-density inert thread sealant.
• Remains stable up to 550°F. It is nonflammable and nontoxic.
• Oxygen-approved, gaseous & liquid.
• Not affected by harsh chemicals such as chlorines, hyperchlorides or powerful oxidizers.
• A multi-purpose, cross-functional sealant.
• Allows you to standardize on one sealant, replacing all the pipe sealants in your tool box or factory.
• Eliminates plumbing errors, standardizes inventory and practices.
• Oxygen-approved by The German Federal Institute for Materials Testing (BAM) and ASTM G72-82 and ASTM G86 (NASA)
• Praxair GS-38 approved
• Approved for use in food processing facilities